Discover Jim Thorpe
Jim Thorpe Borough is the county seat of Carbon County with a population of 4,781 people. Referred to as the “Switzerland of America” because of its picturesque scenery and mountainous location and architecture, Jim Thorpe is a popular tourist attraction and also the “Gateway to the Poconos.”
Founded as Mauch Chunk in 1818, its name was derived from the term “bear mountain” as its local mountain resembled a sleeping bear. The town was founded by Josiah White, founder of the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company, and it rapidly became a railroad and coal-shipping center. It was later renamed for renowned athlete and Olympic Medal winner, Jim Thorpe, after his death in 1953.
Plan Your Visit
Jim Thorpe is home to various small businesses, quaint shoppes, fabulous restaurants, historical landmarks and other tourist attractions like the Jim Thorpe Memorial, the Harry Packer Mansion, the Asa Packer Mansion, the Mauch Chunk Train Station and the Mauch Chunk Museum, just to name a few.
There is plenty of fun in store for you in Jim Thorpe, PA! Check out the Quick Links below for town information, hot deals, events and more!
Jim Thorpe Quick Links
- Find Your Fun in Jim Thorpe & Carbon County Visitors Guide (Download)
- Jim Thorpe Events Calendar
- Jim Thorpe & Carbon County Hot Deal Discounts
- Jim Thorpe & Carbon County Fairs & Festivals
- Find Your Fun
- Lehigh-Gorge Scenic Railway Train Rides
- Jim Thorpe Trolley Tours
- Jim Thorpe Tourism Agency/Downtown Jim Thorpe Visitors Website
- Jim Thorpe, The Athlete
- Mauch Chunk Historical Society
- Mauch Chunk Museum
- Jim Thorpe Borough
- Jim Thorpe Area School District
Watch WBRE's PA Live! On the Road in Jim Thorpe
PA Live! Jim Thorpe Introduction
PA Live! John Thorpe Interview
PA Live! Jim Thorpe at Museum
PA Live! Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau
PA Live! Switchback Railroad
PA Live! Jim Thorpe Train Ride
PA Live! Jim Thorpe Bike Riding
PA Live! Jim Thorpe Carbon Chamber
PA Live! Jim Thorpe Music
PA Live! Jim Thorpe Asa Packer
PA Live! Jim Thorpe Proclamation
PALive! Jim Thorpe Ice Cream
You can also feel free to contact or visit the Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau's Visitors Center at the Old Mauch Chunk Train Station for more information:
2 Susquehanna Street, Jim Thorpe, PA 18229 | Call: 570-325-3673
Hours: Sunday to Saturday 9:30am to 5:30pm
Still want to know more about Jim Thorpe? Visit their official Jim Thorpe website for additional information about this charming and fun, historic town.
Make Your Stay in Jim Thorpe Both Fun, Safe & Enjoyable
The Jim Thorpe Police Department would like to make your fall visits to Jim Thorpe fun, safe and enjoyable. During your visit we ask that you follow a few simple rules.
- Be patient and expect traffic delays.
- Cross the roadways at designated crosswalks and always wait for pedestrian signals or direction from personnel directing pedestrian traffic before crossing.
- Park only in areas where parking is permitted. (See parking information on their website.)
- Use trash receptacles to discard your trash.
For more information, please visit: www.jtborough.org/police
Plan your visit to Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania by searching our Jim Thorpe Business Directory below to find local businesses, restaurants, quaint shoppes, entertainment & historical attractions, accommodations and more!